• L Murphy (Ops Manager)

CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING – WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS?


As the cold weather approaches and boilers are turned on again it is important to know You can't see, taste or smell it but carbon monoxide can be deadly. JMCD Plumbing and Heating are your local domestic and commercial gas safe registered heating engineers.

What is CO poisoning?


Unsafe gas appliances can produce a highly poisonous gas called carbon monoxide (CO). It can cause death as well as serious long term health problems such as brain damage.


CO is produced by the incomplete burning of natural gas or liquefied petroleum gas (LPG). This happens when a gas appliance has been incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained. It can also occur if flues, chimneys or vents are blocked.


Oil and solid fuels such as coal, wood, petrol and oil can also produce carbon monoxide.


CO poisoning occurs when you breathe in the gas and it replaces oxygen in your bloodstream. Without oxygen, your body tissue and cells die. Even small amounts of the gas can cause CO poisoning, and long term effects can include paralysis and brain damage.


Remember the six main symptoms to look out for:



Being aware of the symptoms could save your life


CO symptoms are similar to those of flu, food poisoning, viral infections and fatigue. That’s why it’s quite common for people to mistake this very dangerous poisoning for something else.

Other signs that could point to CO poisoning:

Your symptoms only occur when you are at home and seem to disappear when you leave home.

Others in your household (including pets) are experiencing similar symptoms and they appear at a similar time.


What to do if you suspect CO poisoning


Get fresh air immediately. Open doors and windows, turn off gas appliances and leave the house.

See your doctor immediately or go to hospital - let them know that you suspect CO poisoning. They can do a blood or breath test to check.

If you think there is an immediate danger, call the Gas Emergency Helpline on 0800 111 999.

Ask a Gas Safe registered engineer to inspect your gas appliances and flues to see if there is a dangerous problem.

To find engineers who are qualified to investigate the presence of fumes, you can visit the gas safe registered website check a Business page. Enter your postcode. Under the ‘Select appliance type’ tab chose ‘Fumes Investigation’. Remember to click ‘Find’ to see the updated results or contact JMCD Plumbing and heating engineers.


The warning signs of a CO leak


Any of the following could be a sign of CO in your home:


Flames of a lazy yellow or orange colour on your gas hob, rather than being a crisp blue;

Dark staining on/around appliances;

Pilot lights that frequently blow out;

Increased condensation inside windows.

Faulty appliances in your home can lead to CO poisoning. Get your gas appliances checked regularly to avoid this.


What can you do about it?


Our advice is clear: the first and best thing you can do to minimise the risk that your gas appliances produce CO is to ensure that they are safety checked annually by a suitably competent and qualified Gas Safe registered engineer such as one of our heating engineers.

If you already have a service plan then an annual check may be included as part of that, check the details.

An audible CO alarm will activate in the presence of CO. It’s a good second line of defence, but can only tell you when something has already gone wrong.

Make sure any alarm you buy is marked to EN 50291 and has the British Standards Kitemark.


CO Alarm - A good second line of defence


Modern CO alarms are similar in design to smoke alarms (which do not detect CO) and can be purchased from around £15 at many major retail outlets including DIY stores and supermarkets. We do not recommend the use of 'black spot detector' warning strips - they are too easy to miss and won't alert you if you have a CO leak when you're asleep.


It’s advisable to fit an alarm in every room with a gas appliance, and when installing and siting the alarm make sure you refer to the manufacturer’s instructions. Typically, audible CO alarms have a battery life of up to 5 years. If you’re unsure which alarm to get, you can ask a Gas Safe registered engineer such as JMCD Plumbing and Heating for advice.


If you would like to know more about our plumbing and heating services in the Halifax and West Yorkshire area then click here to contact us.

GAS SAFE registered plumbers and heating engineers Halifax

 ABOUT US

services
Our location

If you need a plumber in Halifax West Yorkshire jmcd are your local go to plumbing and heating experts. We are gas safe registered and one of the highest rated plumbing companys in the Halifax area.

LOWER HORLEY GREEN FARM

CLAREMOUNT

HALIFAX

HX3 6AX

WEST YORKSHIRE

07788772468 

Halifax's local plumbers undertaking all aspects of plumbing & heating
copyright of jmcd plumbing and heating halifax all rights reserved